Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day Off

No travel scheduled today. I'm comfortably holed up in the Bungalow on a hot summer day, listening to the Sox game on the radio. My remaining blisters are freshly padded & bandaged. I've had time today to look at the field guide on the table in here, trying to identify some of the birds I've seen this week. I had a wonderful nap this afternoon, though it cost me a few innings of the game. I'm sorting and re-packing all my things. A lazy day, though not a wasted one.

The remainder of my trip is firming up. Tomorrow, we have our kayak trip. Saturday is Old Home Day down in the village. I'll catch a ride down with Pete & Lainie. Weather should be pushing 90 degrees, with no rain forecast for the weekend. The next day, I'll hike to Deer Mountain SP, where I'll stay for two nights. I'll hike to the Canadian border & 4th Connecticut Lake one of those days. Next Tuesday, there will be a press conference just over the border to celebrate the linking of the CT with the trail network of Sentiers Frontaliers (SF), a hiking group from Quebec's Eastern Townships. Pete & Lainie will pick me up at Deer Mountain, take me to the press conference, and then drive me to the village, where I have a place reserved for Tuesday night. Wednesday, if the weather's good, I'll get back to Sportsman's Lodge in one long haul, walking on Rt. 145 & Creampoke Road instead of the CT. Less favorable conditions will result in a break at Rudy's. Either way, I'll be finished ahead of my original schedule.

While I'm in the village, I'll mail home my tent & sleeping pad & whatever else I don't need to carry once I'm done camping. A light pack will help me get to Sportsman's in one day, as will sticking to town roads (longer route but smoother path). Light load + good weather = excessive optimism.

This is all sounding manageable. Setting my own pace (slow) and schedule (flexible) has worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment